Friday 11 January 2008

Wicked?

How did Rumpelstiltskin spin straw into gold? I ask because I want to spin some silver, which must be a related technique. I've sent an owl to Madam Pince to ask if I can do some research on this in the Hogwarts library - probably in the restricted section given the nefarious character of the aforementioned little chap.

You might guess from this that I have been informed of who my sock swap partner is. Indeed, it is a young lady who's a Hogwarts student in Slytherin House. She seems to be rather a lovely girl. I'm afraid that like so many I find it difficult not to be prejudiced against Slytherins because of all the negative stereotypes associated with that house. However, I really hope I'm ready to learn and have my prejudices challenged. Expand yourself Emma (I mean personally - not literally, of course!!).

Anyway, the young lady in question is allergic to wool. Rather a shame as wool is the most readily available fibre in sheepy England. We do have plenty of nettles in our vegetable patch, but I'm not keen on risking injury to spin a non-ovine yarn. So, I either have to search for sources of exotic fibres in our very unexotic "green and pleasant land", or import some from abroad (perhaps a word with someone in the ministry?). What will it be - bamboo, alpaca, cashmere, linen, .....?

Actually I only intend to spin a little yarn (am I being mysterious enough?) - I already have the bulk of the sock stuff, but I do want to incorporate a little bit of handspun. And I'm very keen to spend some time muttering over my cauldron (hopefully transfiguration spells and not curses!).

0 comments: